Thursday, December 20, 2012

Who made a difference?

There were a lot of people who made a difference for me this year. My wife, my boss, my new coworkers. Friends, bandmates, venue owners, show sponsors, film directors - that's right, I'm impacted even by people I don't know in real life.

However, I think the person who made the biggest difference is actually a group of people: Indiana musicians. I know that's cheating a little, but let me have this one. I've been fortunate to spend my year writing about local music, going to shows, making new friends, and learning as much as I can about Indiana's rich musical history. I love working with Musical Family Tree, and I seriously hope I never have to stop. 


Because we're a nonprofit, MFT isn't out to make money off of bands. We would love to have more money coming in to the organization of course (probably to fund more projects and events!), but that may take some time to figure out. We want to show community support, to help musicians get good shows when possible, to encourage them to create and perform more music. In the past I think I was more absorbed in my own musical projects, to the point that I didn't always pay attention to all the great bands around me, but I've gained a lot of respect for all the musicians out there trying to make shit happen. 

I think of all DIY musicians as a big weird family, and even the parts of the scene I know nothing about matter a great deal to me. In fact, I wish I had even more time to devote to listening and talking about local music. I want to go to venues I've never visited and hear new bands with original sounds. I also still feel like I've only heard a tiny percentage of MFT's archive, and we're always adding more stuff!

Indiana has tons of amazing talent, and I want it to be recognized. This is one of the places that has made me who I am, and I'm finally starting to understand why people say they want to "give back" to their communities. I love this city and this state, and all the crazy people in it who are passionate about music.

***

This post is part of Think Kit by SmallBox 
Today’s prompt: Who made a difference for you this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment