Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Trying something different

I feel like I faked this one. At least fumbled it. But there is always a story to tell, so I might as well outline my rather mundane failure to adhere to today's Think Kit prompt.

The directions were "Try something totally different. Have something for lunch or dinner you don't normally eat. Make up a new recipe. What did you come up with?" 

Due to meetings, work, errands, and other obligations, I wasn't able to cook today at any time, so I figured I'd have to go with eating at a restaurant. Trouble was, I found myself in Broad Ripple, and I was hard pressed to think of a type of food in the area I had never had. So this is where I guess I cheated a little, because I decided to go to Broad Ripple's new sushi bar, fittingly titled "Sushi Bar."

This was not my first time eating sushi. I love sushi. Sometimes I'm a little crazy about it. So yeah, it wasn't "something different" in that way, but it was a sushi joint I'd never visited before. I have my favorites around town, but lately, I've found reasons to get tired of each of them: maybe the service, slipping quality standards, inconsistent sushi, inflated prices - they've all gotten a bit old to me. Thus, it was perfect that I found a new one to try. I'd heard only good things about Sushi Bar, and I turned out to really love it.

Actual photograph of me after eating too much sushi

Sushi Bar has a lunch special with 2 or 3 different rolls plus miso soup or salad for $7-$10. Pretty killer price. And browsing the menu it looks like they have a lot of specialty and novelty rolls that I will have to try. Smoked salmon and pineapple roll?! Tempura sweet potato roll?! Yes, please.

Today I ordered the Chicago Roll (tuna, cream cheese, avocado), New York Roll (shrimp, can't remember what else, spicy sauce on top), and the eel and cucumber roll. They were all delicious. The fish and shrimp were high-quality and surprisingly fresh, and they actually broil the eel when you order it. Not sure if I've ever enjoyed eel as much as I did today. The staff was friendly, and the non-lunch prices seem pretty reasonable too. The room has a very chill vibe - a pretty traditional "sushi bar" look and feel.

There's nothing too "different" about me eating sushi, but this different place to enjoy it was exactly what I needed. A secret treasure in an area full of bar food. There's no doubt in my mind that I'll be back there frequently. Is tomorrow too soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment