Friday, December 7, 2012

Sketching an idea

I've never really made an "inspiration board" before, and I don't think I even did it right, but this turned out to be a helpful exercise. The prompt asked me to think about what I want my life or kitchen or job to look like, but I decided to focus on something smaller that I've been unable to find much time for...

A couple years ago, I started releasing my own music under the "Holy Infinite Freedom Revival" label moniker. This was basically a fake label or imprint that I thought was fun to put on Everything, Now! releases, then I released a 4xEP compilation CD that was mainly just four of my own recording projects. The newest E,N! album, Do It On the Moon, was our first vinyl release, and it came out earlier in 2012.


With the encouragement of a few friends this year, I've decided that I want to help release music by other bands that I like on the HIFR label. Vinyl manufacturing can be extremely expensive, not to mention time-consuming and somewhat challenging to sell (even though vinyl is more popular than ever). Anyway, I've wanted to do some cassette releases, and I've had a loose plan in my head. I've even approached a couple artists about releases, and so far things are going well (if at a rather glacial pace). But there's a lot of work to be done. A real plan needs to take shape.

I decided to use this prompt as an opportunity to sketch out how the label will operate in both the physical and digital worlds. I apologize for the crummy quality of my "inspiration board" - I decided to go with pen and paper, and I realize the photo is kind of blurry. You should be able to grasp the general idea though:


It's not much, but it's a start. And it helped me get some new ideas flowing. Most of those releases are still just in planning stages, but I'm looking forward to putting out some cool tapes and seeing what kind of response they get. As you can see, I'm planning to release music by more of my own projects with this label as well.

I think my unique model is going to be attractive for a lot of underground and lower-profile acts because I will basically be funding releases myself and splitting the total number of tapes or records with the band. They can then sell them or trade them or whatever, and I will attempt to recuperate some of my expenses with an online store. This label will not be designed to make a profit but to support artists who I think are making good music. It will also be our aim to allow all artists complete freedom at all times, for better or for worse. This is a challenge, but I think it's important, because it's the way I've approached releasing my own music over the years, and it's rewarding to get to make your own choices as an artist and musician.

***

This post is part of Think Kit by SmallBox 
Today’s prompt: What do you want your life (or your kitchen, your job, your x) to look like? Create your own inspiration board.


No comments:

Post a Comment