Monday, December 31, 2012

What I'm looking forward to...

I don't really do a lot of New Year's resolutions or anything like that, but I definitely like to re-evaluate life from time to time. Especially during times of great change, which seem to fall at the end of the year a lot for some reason... Anyway, as I've been thinking about what I want next year to look like, it helped to think about what I wish I had done more of in the last year.

To me, this photo (taken by my friend Lisa Fett) says it all: I want to make more music in 2013.


I knew that taking over Musical Family Tree this year would probably require me to step back from music a little in a creative sense. In order to more completely evaluate what other musicians in Indiana were doing, I wanted to remove myself a bit as a performer and become more of a spectator. I still made music when I could, but I found myself with less and less time to do it.

In some ways, playing music (not to mention, writing it, recording it, and compelling others to check it out) is exhausting, but it's also always been one of my best ways to relieve stress and get some feelings out in the open. So I hope to never stop, and I realize I may have to put some real planning and scheduling into it to make it work out. 

Whether with Beer or Everything, Now! or any other project, I want to get back into the creative process. I want to make new statements, create exciting compositions - making music has always kind of been what keeps me going, so it was tough to have less time for music this year. However, going forward, scheduling time to do the things I'm really passionate about will have to be a bigger priority. I work hard and I love the local music scene, so I think this will largely be a positive way to get deeper into something that means a lot to me.


***

This post is part of Think Kit by SmallBox 
Today’s prompt: What are you looking forward to the most about the next 365 days?

No comments:

Post a Comment