Thursday, December 6, 2012

Get up, get into it, get involved

Let's talk about increasing community involvement in 2013. But first, let's get a little inspiration from The Godfather:


Ooooh just dig that funky beat. Let it roll, don't turn it off.

This year, I got more involved in my local community than ever. I've been part of Indiana's  independent music scene for years, but running MFT has made it mandatory for me to get out and be involved in my community of fellow musicians. More than just as a performer and contributor, I got to appreciate Indiana's music scene as a fan, friend, curator, and promoter. I want to see the rest of the world appreciate the underrated and unique music coming out of Indiana.

Next year, I want to get more involved by booking more MFT-related events, hopefully helping other artists release their own music, and building excitement around Indiana music in any way possible. Definitely more blogging and MFT archive-digging. I also want to help build community with more installments of the EP in a Weekend series, by hiring an intern and growing team MFT, and by working harder to write and release more of my own music. I also want to go to more local shows and to encourage others to do the same. Sure, I went to more shows this year than I used to, but I still felt like I missed some of the best ones.

I'm also more committed to improving the larger Indianapolis community next year. One reason is that I bought a home here, so I plan to live here for a long time. I want to see Indianapolis become a more culturally rich city, a city that creative young people want to live in (instead of one they're all dying to escape from). This means supporting more local businesses, building more relationships with local people who are doing important things, and working my tail off at SmallBox to encourage other businesses and organizations to improve culture through community-building as well. It also means listening to the ideas of others, discussing how we can all encourage large-scale improvements, and doing whatever it takes to spread the good ideas.

***

This post is part of Think Kit by SmallBox 
Today’s prompt: How do you want get involved in your community this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment